Thursday, May 3, 2012

Perception Reading Reflection 5/4

    This week I am reading The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Magician's Nephew, by C.S. Lewis. It is the prequel in the series. So far, it is about a boy and a girl named Digory and Polly who live in London. Then one day, they find some magic rings that will send them back and forth between an endless amount of worlds. Unfortunately, the saying "Curiosity killed the cat" comes true. What suspenseful events await them? Read the book to find out.
    One event that was very important was when Polly and Digory were in a room with wax figures inside of it. There was a pillar in the middle of the room with a bell hanging from it and a poem written on it. It read:

"Make your choice, adventurous stranger;
Strike the bell and bide the danger,
Or wonder, till it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had."


   When I read this passage, I was looking through Polly's eyes, who didn't want to ring the bell. I probably saw through her eyes because I agreed with her more than Digory, who wanted to ring the bell. What happened was this: They saw this poem written on the pillar, and immediately they had different opinions. They started arguing and finally Digory pushed Polly aside and struck the bell. The sweet sound of the bell got louder and louder as it rang triumphantly in their ears........... In my perception, Polly always had a warning or something to say back to Digory, but Digory always had stronger opinions. They kept fighting till they reached the bell, and when Polly turned her head, he struck the bell. I think that Polly began to feel desperate and hopeless near the end of the fight. She had used up all of her strength to prevent her brother from hitting the bell. I think that the thing that made me drawn to Polly was that she never gives up, and that's one of my favorite traits. On the other hand, Digory was very curious and he could not stand to not know what would happen. He came to the point that he was so curious that he didn't really care about Polly at the time. That's what made him ignore her. They both saw the event very differently, and it really triggers the events to follow.
    Luckily, this week I own the book so I do not have to worry about returning it! If you haven't read the series, START NOW!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment